We are thrilled to report The Block of the Salem Conference Center, The Grand Hotel in Salem and Bentley’s Grill was named “Large Sustainable Business Of The Year” at the 2011 Mid-Valley Green Awards earlier this month.
The Green Awards are sponsored by the Friends of Straub Environmental Learning Center and “acknowledge Mid-Willamette Valley individuals, businesses and organizations for their outstanding efforts towards sustainability.”
The Grand Hotel in Salem and Bentley’s Grill and The Salem Conference Center is the first hotel and restaurant and conference center in Salem and Marion County to be EarthWISE certified. The certification through Marion County’s EarthWISE program played a key role in “The Block” being chosen by The Friends of Straub Environmental Learning Center, as Large Sustainable Business Of The Year.
- Green practices on “The Block” include:
- Use of recycled paper for all printed material
- Utilize Earth friendly cleaning solutions and drainage system
- Supports local economy by purchasing products and food from local suppliers.
- Operates on Energy Star appliances
- Sleeping room towel and linen program that allows guest to re-use their bedding and towels.
- Sleeping room and public area recycling
- Replacement of all lighting in guest rooms with cool white compact fluorescent lighting
- Composting throughout entire facility
- Participates with “Clean the World,” recycling all used soap products from guest rooms.
- Extensive recycling of all plastic material.
- Purchase Wind power to offset energy cost
Congratulations to all nominees on your commitment to sustainable business practices! To learn more about our commitment to sustainable practices, we encourage you to visit the following links: