Planning a trip to Salem, Oregon this year? Bring the family with you!
Our historical family friendly city features appealing attractions that range from historical museums, outdoor play areas, festivals, performing arts, and children’s activities. Let us be your guide to planning a trip the whole family will love! Here are some local travel tips for the young and the young at heart:
KID TRAVEL TIP #1: Book a hotel room with plenty of space!
You will want to begin by finding a hotel room that accommodates a family traveling with children, and we have the perfect solution. The spacious Grand Family Suite contains two queen-sized beds located in the main portion of the room and another private bedroom with a king-sized bed and a second television so you can unwind in comfort. Covered parking, fast Internet access and a delicious hot breakfast are always complimentary at the Grand Hotel.
KID TRAVEL TIP #2: Prepare and plan for the unexpected!
You know that Churchill saying “Failing to plan is planning to fail.” Keep that in mind when you travel with your children. Be patient, allow enough time to handle any delays or obstacles that may come up. Pack plenty of snacks and activities for the kids to do, learn some creative games to play with the children. These articles offer some helpful suggestions on how to travel with children of all ages:
- Car Games – Our Best Backseat Distractions
- 8 Fun Car Game Ideas
- 10 Sanity-Saving Tips for Traveling With Kids
- 10 Tips for Traveling with Kids | Family Economics
KID TRAVEL TIP #3: Search for kid friendly local attractions that will appeal to the whole family.
Luckily, there is no shortage of this in Salem, Oregon! Here is a list of places we recommend to families who stay in our hotel, some are within walking distance while most are a short drive away:
- Riverfront Park: Take a morning walk along the Willamette River in this 23-acre park, and you will see why we love it. This park has everything one would want in a park- plenty of lush green space, lovely fountains, views of the river, a children’s play area, an amphitheater, play equipment, a covered Pavilion and Salem’s Riverfront Carousel (one of our big attractions!). This park is the place for gatherings and events throughout the year.
- A.C. Gilbert’s Discovery Village: Children of all ages come here and let their imaginations run wild with indoor & outdoor interactive activities. Not to mention, the museum is located in three very cool historic houses and has 20,000-square-foot Outdoor Discovery Center.
- Enchanted Village: This beloved Oregon attraction/Theme Park located just 5 miles from our hotel. Visitors enjoy the mystical forests and handcrafted feel to this popular attraction. Kids will love the rides, story book lane, a Haunted House, roller coaster and Big Timber Log Ride.
- Bush’s Pasture Park: Salem Oregon visitors and locals enjoy leisurely strolls though this 90.5 acre park that features 4 playgrounds for children; a Municipal Rose Garden; Historic Bush Museum; plenty of trees and open meadows making this a wonderful stop.
- Willamette Heritage Center at The Mill: (Formerly know as Mission Mill Museum). This great museum is designated an American Treasure by the National Park Service and hosts outstanding exhibits and events throughout the year attracting thousands of visitors, history buffs, and school groups each year. The museum preserves the history of the Thomas Kay Woolen Mill and represents one of Oregon’s earliest and strongest industries.
- Oregon State Capitol Tour: Visitors come to our state capitol to learn about the important events in Oregon’s state history, see the magnificent rotunda and where Oregon’s 30 state Senators and 60-member House of Representatives meet. Designated as the State Capitol State Park in 2007, the grounds surrounding the Capitol feature ornamental and native trees and shrubs. It is also the setting for the Walk of the Flags, Waite Fountain, Parade of Animals sculpture, a Liberty Bell replica, and a gazebo constructed in 1982.
- Salem-Keizer Volcanoes– Come root for the home team! The Volcanoes are our local minor league baseball team and 7 Time Northwest League Western Division Champions! 6700 Field of Dreams Way NE, Keizer Oregon.
- Willamette Queen Sternwheeler is an 87-foot twin paddle-wheeler that departs year-round from Salem’s Riverfront Park and a fun way to see the river and various parts of Salem, Oregon.
- Salem’s Riverfront Carousel is ranked among the nation’s best carousels and includes 42 hand-carved & hand-painted wooden horses and two “Oregon Trail” wagons.
- Fishing or River Rafting on the North Santiam River with Bill Sanderson. The North Santiam River connects Mount Jefferson to the Willamette Valley. Only half an hour east of Salem, Oregon, it is a scenic whitewater river with the best runs of Steelhead in the valley…Both scenic and fishing trips are offered, by drift boat or raft.