Not only is the Grand Hotel in Salem is committed to promoting sustainability and green practices in our hotel, we support local businesses and organizations that share our values, such as Straub Environmental Learning Center.
This local non-profit creates awareness and understanding of our relationship to the environment through their environmental education programs for all ages. Countless local residents and children have been inspired to become active stewards of our environment through programs like:
- Family retreats and camp outs that help families spend time together while connecting to nature.
- Day trips, camps, and educational presentations that help the community understand how their everyday lives affect the environment and the effect the environment has on them.
- Presentations to local area schools on request. These programs educate local students about birds, trees, cones, bees, geocaching and photography, and more! Children who are educated early about the environment are more likely to be conscientious citizens, working to be green in their daily life.
- The Center also hosts many different important drop-off programs, including the expired prescription drop-off. This is a way to prevent people from flushing old drugs down the toilet which can cause harm to the environment.
- Work parties where fellow employees come together for an environmental clean-up project. This helps to improve the surrounding area, raise awareness about the environment, and serves as a great team builder!
Each year, Straub Environmental Center hosts the Mid-Valley Green Awards, an annual event honoring local residents and businesses for following sustainable and green practices. This year’s event will take place at the Salem Convention Center on Saturday, March 7th.